- Use established procedures for teardown.
STEERING KNUCKLE AND AXLE PREPARATION
- Clean spindle and axle eyes, wipe dry.
- Remove any burrs from spindle bores and axle eyes using brake hone or similar device.
INSTALLING BUSHING LIP SEALS
- Handle with care. Lip seals are easily damaged.
- Using a bushing driver or similar device, drive the seals into the bore leaving the seal flush with the axle side of each spindle bore.
- Be sure to position the seal so the lip is pointing towards the axle eye.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INSTALLING SPIRAL BUSHING ASSEMBLY
- Using the STEMCO® Kaiser™ bushing driver specifically designed for the kit, drive both bushings into bores.
CHECK BEFORE ASSEMBLY
- Wipe bushings clean.
- Using king pin check for fit, first insert pin into each bushing individually then insert pin into both bushings, king pin should slide through both bushings simultaneously.
- If pin fits through bushings individually but not simultaneously, the spindle has spread and may need replacement.
- Pre-pack bearings with grease.
- For proper bearing orientation refer to Fig 1.
- Place needed shims under upper spindle bore.
- Position king pin through upper spindle bore and through needed shims, be sure TOP of pin is parallel to axle for proper lock flat alignment.
- Place spindle, shims and pin into axle, allow pin to drop into axle bore about 2”.
- Tap bearing into place. A properly fit bearing will require a slight tap fit without damaging the bearing case.
- If bearing is too tight or too loose, adjust the number of shims being used.
- When working on an application where the bearing has a shoulder, the bearing must be installed before the shims.
COMPLETE PIN INSTALLATION
- Once the bearing fit is correct, allow pin to slip into lower bushing.
- Position lock pin flats on pin so they line up with lock holes.
- Pound lock pins into place, lock pins with threads apply 25-30 ft. lbs of torque.
END PLATE OR END PLUG INSTALLATION
- Install end plates or end plugs, using the proper seal under plates.
- Install grease fitting into end plate or end plug.
- Apply grease until it can be seen between axle and spindle.
- Once greased, the spindle should turn easily from side to side.
- There should be very little up and down movement.
- If unit seems loose or too tight, we recommend calling our technical service for assistance